Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Identity

"I'm...The Big Girl"
I came across something that made me think. I've always been the big girl, in grade school, in high school, and now as an adult. When I go shopping I'm the biggest person I see. When I get together with family for a holiday I'm the biggest person I see. When I go to a restaurant I'm the biggest person I see. Anyone in any of those situations looks at me and see "the big girl". What I've been wondering is...once I lose weight and start blending in size wise to those around me...what will people see me as? If someone pointed me out in a restaurant, at a family gathering, at the mall, in a classroom, at the park, what would say to identify me? "She's the big girl." ...Or something along those lines, something to do with my weight/size. So after my weight loss, what am I if I'm not "the big girl"? How would an outsider describe me? What would define me? What would my identity be? What is underneath me? Who am I if I'm not "the big girl"? I wonder what qualities of mine will come through once the "go to" attribute ("She's the big girl." "She's the chubby girl." "She's the biggest one.") is gone. I wonder how someone would describe me now if they couldn't mention my size. What is it that I will make myself?

"That's the girl."
"What girl?"
"Right over there."
"Which one are you talking about?"
"The one who is __________________."

Who will I be? How will I be seen?
Hmm...time will tell.

~M

No comments: